Karen collaborates with her clients to develop proactive strategies designed to enhance workplace productivity and avoid employment disputes. She serves as an external human resources consultant for numerous businesses, providing counsel to management and conducting training programs for both management and employees. Karen performs internal audits of clients' employment practices to ensure strategic compliance with current laws, and guides client investigations of employee allegations regarding harassment, discrimination, and employee theft or other misconduct.
When litigation is unavoidable, Karen aggressively defends her clients against employment law claims in the state and federal courts as well as administrative hearings, arbitrations, and mediations. She is a skilled litigator and negotiator, having successfully resolved hundreds of claims on behalf of her management clients.
A frequent speaker on employment law topics, Karen regularly conducts seminars and training programs for managers and employees in all areas of employment practices and policies. She is the founder and host of the HR Management Strategy Roundtable, a twice-monthly seminar for clients and businesspersons to provide information on workplace employment strategies.
Karen has been named as a Southern California “Super Lawyer” by Los Angeles Magazine, a ranking of the top 5% of attorneys in over 70 practice groups in the state of California. She has been named one of the “Top 50 Women in Business” by the Pacific Coast Business Times, and was nominated for a “Women in Business” award by the San Fernando Valley Business Journal. She has also been named as one of the San Fernando Valley’s “Most Trusted Advisors” by the San Fernando Valley Business Journal. She has been listed as one of the Pacific Coast Business Times “Who’s Who in Professional Services” in the Ventura, Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo Counties for seven consecutive years.
Karen has served as an Adjunct Professor at the Pepperdine University School of Law, where she taught classes in employment law, employment law advice and counsel, and employment law litigation. She has authored numerous articles on employment law topics for the Los Angeles Daily Journal, San Francisco Daily Journal, Workplace Violence Reporter, Economic Development Collaborative-Ventura County Impact, Simi Valley Chamber of Commerce Business Advocate and Moorpark Chamber of Commerce Business News. She has been interviewed as an expert on employment law topics by the Ventura County Star, the Pacific Coast Business Times and Workforce: HR Trends & Tools for Business Results.
For over two decades, Karen Gabler has counseled employers in all aspects of employment law, including:
- Social media in the workplace
- Diversity policies and training
- Wrongful termination
- Discrimination, harassment & retaliation
- Defamation & invasion of privacy
- Breach of contract
- Protection of employer trade secrets & confidential information
- Executive compensation models & agreements
- Workplace privacy
- Internal investigations & audits
- Employee discipline
- Hiring and termination
- Wage and hour matters
- Health and safety issues
- Leaves of absence
- Development and revision of employee handbooks & personnel policies
- Training and preventive counseling for employee relations and litigation avoidance
Karen is an active member of the community. She has received 805 Living Magazine’s "Giving Back" award and the United Way of Ventura County’s Milton M. Teague Award for community service. She has served as an officer, director or member of numerous business and philanthropic organizations, including:
- Professionals In Human Resources Association
- United Way of Ventura County
- Simi Valley Community Foundation
- Simi Valley Hospital Foundation
- East Ventura County Employer Advisory Council
- Western Ventura County Employer Advisory Council
- Simi Valley Education Foundation
- The Wellness Community Valley/Ventura
- Simi Valley Chamber of Commerce
- Greater Conejo Valley Chamber of Commerce
- Camarillo Chamber of Commerce
- Ventura Chamber of Commerce
- Oxnard Chamber of Commerce
- Women’s Information Network of Simi Valley
- J.D., William S. Richardson School of Law, University of Hawaii
- B.A., Psychology, University of Hawaii
Karen resides in Simi Valley with her husband and their two children. She is a competitive hunter-jumper rider, winning numerous awards with her four horses. As a former resident of Hawaii, Karen studied hula and performed at Honolulu's Thomas Square and the Waikiki Aquarium.