Sorry, I Can't Come In Today... Handling Paid Time Off (Vacation, Sick Leave, PTO & Holidays)
Tuesday, March 28, 2017
7:30 am-9:00am (Continental breakfast will be served)
No charge; RSVP is required.
Best Western Posada Royale
1775 Madera Road
Simi Valley, CA, 93065
Presenter: Karen L. Gabler
Click here to register.
Is Your Employee Taking Time Off?
California employers have numerous options, but little flexibility, when it comes to paid time off for employees. In addition to hampering business operations and company productivity, employee absences can present legal challenges for employers in determining when to permit an absence, when to bring the employee back, what leaves and benefits to offer, and how to maintain ongoing business activities without key staff members.
In this informative seminar, employment law attorney Karen L. Gabler will discuss the employer's rights, obligations and questions regarding employee absences and paid or unpaid time off. Topics covered will include the following:
- What is an "excused" absence?
- What information do you need (or can you get) from an employee who will be absent?
- What information do you need (or can you get) from an employee before the employee is permitted to return?
- What sick leave rules apply to your business?
- Do your sick leave accruals change when your employees visit different California cities for business purposes?
- When can you request a doctor's note from an employee on sick leave?
- Why is PTO no longer your best option as an employer?
- What notice of absence must your employee provide to you?
- When do you have to approve an employee's request for paid time off?
- When can you discipline or terminate an employee for excessive absence (and when are you prohibited from doing so)?
- When can you dock leave banks for absent employees?
- When can you dock pay for absent employees?
- Can you advance paid time off to employees (and should you)?
- How can you effectively track employees' use of paid time off (and when are you required to do so)?
- When can you "cash out" paid time off benefits (and when are you prohibited from doing so)?
- Can you give "personal days" or "floating holidays"?
- When do you have to pay for holidays?
- Can you temporarily shut down operations and avoid paying employees?
- What policies and forms do you need for employee absences?